How Stress And Fatigue Can Impact Your Skin
We explore how a modern lifestyle, like stress and fatigue caused by changes in your physiological state, can have an effect on your, skin and hair, not to mention your all-round feeling of well-being.
The Mind – Skin Connection
Your nervous system causes your body to react to changes that occur to your mental state, conditions like anxiety, stress and depression have an impact on the way your skin reacts because of hormones that are released during these periods of mental fatigue.
Cortisol and adrenaline are the main hormones released when your nervous system goes into fight or flight mode. Cortisol is linked to excessive oil production in your skin glands and if you have conditions like acne or clogged pores, it can make them worse.
Internal inflammation is another symptom of stress, usually, this is to help our bodies heal and protect us, but an overreaction causes an inflammatory response that is an overcompensation, and this effects our gut most. Gut health is vital to skin health since our gut balances bacteria and if our gut is unhealthy it for sure will show up in our skin.
So what does this show up as?
- Impacting your immune system, stress can manifest in the skin as irritated skin such as hives, rashes and redness. Ever had itchy skin when you’re really stressed out? That’s because your immune system is compromised.
- Cortisol as mentioned above leads to an overproduction of sebum, causing excessive oiliness, breakouts, blackheads and acne.
- If you’re already suffering from inflammatory skin conditions, like psoriasis, rosacea and eczema, stress can exacerbate it and lead to flare-ups.
- Drier skin, stress can also have the opposite effect, drying your skin out and affecting the skin’s ability to retain water.
- We all know these; under-eye bags and dark circles are probably the most common and known symptom of lifestyle stress and fatigue. Anxiety causes lack of sleep and eating issues which can really impact the sensitive area around the eyes.
- Other more uncommon signs are feeling flushed in the face, sore, dry lips and in the long-term chronic stress can cause premature ageing.
How to keep your skin stress-free!
- Well, most importantly in all begins with getting your mind free of stress – since it’s the root of the problem. Try activities like yoga, meditation and relaxation – what a perfect excuse to get a massage!
- If you feel that your anxiety may be more pervasive it is always good to have a check-up with a medical health practitioner, maybe talking to someone or getting a proper checkup can put you on a road to a calmer future.
- Exercise, exercise is so good for your entire wellbeing, it releases endorphins which have a feel-good effect on your mind and body. It detoxes your body and skin and gives you a natural glow.
- Try to get a good night’s rest and eat well, sometimes even if you don’t feel like it, it's important to stick to healthy routines – in the long run, good habits help to comfort you and make you feel secure.
- Same goes for maintaining a good skincare routine, always make time to take care of your number 1 person – you! Make sure to cleanse your face morning and night, use a good makeup remover and moisturise. Your skin will thank you for it.
- Have you heard the saying, fake it until you make it? Sometimes when we take care of our bodies it has a wonderful effect on our minds – so even though your mind may be wreaking havoc on your skin, you can calm it every day by taking some time out for your wellness. Read more about making some time for yourself in the post Sunday Sanctuary.
Using the right products
When we use products that are designed to give us an overall sense of wellbeing, it is easier to feel pampered, and let our minds relax. All Delixirs products are created with a holistic philosophy that is meant to have a positive effect not just on your body, but your mind and soul too. Delixirs only uses natural ingredients are safe to use and free from toxins, parabens and sulphates which eventually do have a detrimental impact on your whole being. Each treatment is perfumed with invigorating scents which stimulate the senses and just makes you feel so much better.
For an instant stress release and refresh, try a spritz of Rose Water any time of the day or night, for an instant pick-me-up, the smell of the handpicked rose will immediately comfort and delight you.